Broadband on Aircraft (BOA™)
The BOA™ family of transceivers were developed to provide high bandwidth networking capability over existing wiring on legacy platforms. In short, they enable payloads and other equipment to be integrated with aircraft and other vehicles without requiring new wire routing to accommodate the high bandwidth signals between the vehicle and payload. They are designed to meet the harsh environmental conditions experienced on fighter aircraft, as well as land and marine platforms. Wherever there is a need for Ethernet communications or other high bandwidth digital data format, but the installation of new network cabling is cost or time prohibitive, then a BOA™ system is the solution.
BOA™ Transceiver Family Specifications
- Employs militarized commercial wideband Power Line Communications (PLC) technology
- Communicates over power, discrete, or bus wiring
- Provides more than 350Mbps of throughput (BOAg)
- Does not interfere with existing systems
- Single connector for power and Ethernet data
- Built-in status indicators
- Flight tested
- Meets MIL-STD-810 and MIL-STD-461
- Requires 3 – 4 Watts
- Operates from 115VAC or 9-36VDC
- Variants weigh between ½ – 1 pound
A BOA™ system comprises two (2) or more BOA™ transceivers installed at the locations where new equipment needs to communicate. Ethernet data is encrypted and converted into wideband, very low power signals, that are inductively coupled to the existing platform wiring. The process is bi-directional and transparent to the external systems. Built-in Quality of Service (QoS) ensures the data is delivered.
- Addresses military need to “expand missions by enabling the intercommunications within legacy aircraft to grow without having to add any wires or cables.”
- Facilitates upgrades and modernization of legacy platforms at a fraction of the cost and effort required to install dedicated network cabling.
BOA™ transceivers are available today for evaluation and purchase. Contact 5-D to discuss your particular application and requirements. Customization is available, and intellectual property rights are licensable.
To learn more about BOA™, how it operates, the performance it provides, and potential applications, download our BOA™ datasheet.
Get in Touch
Have a question for our team? We have answers! Here's how to contact us.